An altitude chamber or hypobaric chamber is a specially designed space that is used in high terrestrial altitude training or for research purposes to study the effects of high altitudes on a human body, focusing on the categories of low oxygen level and low air pressure. A major reason to use altitude chamber is to know the level of a person’s hypoxia levels in case of any in-flight oxygen emergencies so that it can come into notice whether the person would be able to handle himself in high altitude geographies with low levels of oxygen.
Some fields of application of an altitude chamber are:
- Acclimatization: many people each year ascend to mountains to climb them by mountaineering or for vacation purposes. As the altitudes increases, air pressure decrease and so does oxygen levels in the immediate environment. To prevent any sickness during the trek or even death, the mountaineers get trained in hyperbaric chambers to get acclimatized and prepare themselves to the extreme altitudes. Although people can still get affected by the sudden changes while trekking because the reaction is highly dependent on the genetics.
- Military and Government: use of altitude chambers on military is of high importance because the air force during the wars needs to attack and protect at higher altitudes. Proper training in hyperbaric chambers help them in preparing themselves to sudden low oxygen levels in the cockpit. It helps in carrying out any mountainous operations. Lung capacity gets increased and the performance level multiplies.
- Sports: Practicing in an altitude chamber makes one more efficient and makes his or her body to get accustomed to hypoxia or low level of oxygen so that he or she can increase her athletic performance as it helps in increasing the number of red blood cells thus increasing on aerobic performance. Iron in the body can be easily transported. Fatty acids can be more easily utilized . The amount of red blood cells multiplies. Heart rate and blood pressure levels decrease. Haemoglobin mass expands. Vascular conductance improves. Muscle energy becomes more efficient.
- Research: it can be used to study the effects of low oxygen level on human body. It helps in nerve regeneration and treat the spinal cord injury patients.
- Health and Wellness: using hyperbaric chamber can rejuvenate one’s mind and body, and the nervous system. It also helps in burning the fat which increases the metabolic rate. Altitude chamber are also known to reduce the asthma level in a patient because tolerance to oxidative enzymes increase.